- Soundcard with headphone and microphone option
- Built-in Wi-Fi
- USB Ports
- SD card reader
- Windows 10
- Google Chrome, Internet Explorer, Microsoft Edge
- All the same software available on library desktop computers is also on library laptops such as: Adobe Creative Suite and Microsoft Office programs for document editing and publishing, photo and video editing, computer coding, graphic design, and more.
- Wireless Printer Driver
Hardware and Software Support
Please notify the Accounts or Information Desk of any hardware or software problems. Notify staff of any damage to the device immediately.
If the device freezes, you can restart the device. Please make sure your information is saved onto a removable storage device or emailed to yourself. All data will be lost on restart.
Laptop Lending and Use
Laptops are available to check-out for in-library use only.
- Laptop use is only permitted within the library and cannot leave the library.
- The Library is not responsible for any loss or damage to users' personal electronic storage devices.
- No food or drink are allowed near the laptop.
- All laptop check-outs are on a first come, first serve basis.
- All laptops have a maximum check-out time of 3 hours OR 15 minutes before the library closes, whichever comes first.
- Holds or renewals are not permitted.
- Patrons are allowed to check out only one laptop at a time.
- A current library card is required for laptop check-out.
- All you need in order to check-out a laptop is your library card.
- Check-outs are self-service and done at the laptop kiosks.
Connecting to the Network
Devices run on the Santa Clara County Library District Wireless Network, which is an unsecured public network. Normally, library laptops are automatically connected to the internet. However, if you are unable to establish an internet connection, please restart the laptop to gain the internet connection. It is important to note that the system will remove all files on restart.
Printing and Saving Files
- Make sure you are connected to the SCCL wireless network.
- Follow the directions on the Wireless Printing page.
The machines will accept $1 and $5 bills, and coins. Payment by card is also available.
Changing paper size does not affect cost per page, however please be aware that printing double-sided counts as printing two pages.
- Black/White single-sided: $0.15 per page
- Black/White double-sided: $0.30 per page
- Color single-sided: $0.20 per page
- Color double-sided: $0.40 per page
Files should be saved to a removable storage device (not included) or emailed to yourself. It is important to note that the system will remove all files on restart.
Fines and Fees
- If the laptop is returned late, the fine is $1.00 per hour with up to a maximum of $20.00. There is no courtesy notice.
- If the laptop is not returned within 2 days, it will be considered lost and the library patron is liable for the replacement cost.
- If the laptop is returned damaged, the library patron will be responsible for any damage incurred, up to the replacement cost.