Apply for a Passport Book, opens a new window and/or a Passport Card, opens a new window at the Cupertino, Los Altos, or Milpitas Libraries.
By appointment only.
- First-time passports.
- Replacement of lost, stolen, or damaged, opens a new window passports.
- Passport Photo Service, described in section 5 below.
- Renewal of passports issued before applicants were 16 years of age.
- Renewal of expired passports issued more than 15 years ago.
- Other types of renewals are not offered by the Library, and you may use directions at the U.S. Department of State's "Renew my Passport by Mail, opens a new window" webpage to apply for renewal by mail. Please also note that the Library does not accept visa applications.
Routine or Expedited Options*
- Routine Service: Averages 10-13 weeks processing time only, following the appointment.
- Expedited Service, for added fees (see section 6 below): Averages 7-9 weeks processing time only.
- The San Francisco Passport Agency, opens a new window serves those needing passports sooner.
*Processing times are estimates and subject to change; check Travel.state.gov, opens a new window for most recent processing times.
Book an Appointment
The Passport Application Requirements (below) outline what you MUST bring to the appointment.
Review all passport application requirements before booking an appointment. Please arrive 10 minutes early with your ID, payment, and all required documents. Arriving to your appointment more than 10 minutes late may forfeit your time slot. A separate appointment is required for each passport applicant.
Please Note: At 12am midnight a new day of appointments becomes available at the end of the 60 day booking window. At times, all appointments within the 60 day window are booked. Dates with no more available times are greyed out and have no link. If no appointments are available, please check back after midnight.
Select a Library
Appointment system hosted by SpringShare.
Should you need to cancel an appointment, please use the cancellation link provided in your appointment confirmation email. Cancellations must be made at least 12 hours in advance of your appointment start time.
At least two weeks after your appointment, contact The National Passport Center, opens a new window or visit the Application Status, opens a new window webpage for status information. The library does not have access to your passport processing information.
Passport Application Requirements
Applicant MUST be present.
BRING the following items to your appointment:
DS-11 Application Form, opens a new window
Completed but NOT signed.
Typed or handwritten: black ink only.
Single-sided printed forms only.
For children, see also section 7, below.
Evidence of U.S. Citizenship
Bring ONE of the following. Bring the original/certified copy AND a black-and-white photocopy:
U.S. Birth Certificate, opens a new window, or U.S. Passport (fully-valid, undamaged, may be expired), or Consular Report of Birth Abroad, or Certification of Birth, or Certificate of Naturalization, or Certificate of Citizenship.
The document and photocopy must satisfy the U.S. Department of State's “Provide Evidence of U.S. Citizenship” and “Bring a Photocopy of U.S. Citizenship Evidence”, opens a new window requirements.
If you do not possess any of the documents listed above, please read the U.S. Department of State's Citizenship Evidence, opens a new window page.
The documents you submit will later be returned to you by the U.S. Department of State after you receive your passport.
Bring a valid ID (original copy) AND a black-and-white photocopy of the ID.
The ID and photocopy must satisfy the U.S. Department of State's “Present ID” and “Bring a Photocopy of ID”, opens a new window requirements.
Previous Passport, if applicable.
Bring one photo OR the library passport office can take your photo for $12.
Please adhere to the U.S. Department of State's Passport Photo, opens a new window requirements.
The Library's Passport Photo Service:
- $12 fee for a set of 2 photos (payment method described below in section 6).
- Children must be able to stand still and unassisted (exception: wheelchairs) to be eligible for the Passport Photo Service.
- Photo service is available as part of a passport appointment. Photos are not available as a walk-in service or outside of a passport appointment.
Passport Fees, opens a new window Payments
Bring one check or money order payable to U.S. Department of State.
This check pertains to: application fee, opens a new window, 1-2 day delivery service fee, opens a new window for sending a passport book from the U.S. Department of State to you (optional additional service, and not offered for passport cards, opens a new window), and expedite fee, opens a new window (optional additional service).
Bring one check or money order payable to Santa Clara County Library.
This check pertains to: execution fee $35, optional Library Passport Photo Service $12 (described in section 5), and optional $24.90 express mail fee for sending the passport application to the U.S. Department of State (express mail service only available Monday through Friday).
Payment types not accepted: cash, debit/credit, and starter checks.
- Age 15 and younger: MUST adhere to the U.S. Department of State's Children Under 16, opens a new window requirements, including "Show Parental Relationship" and "Show Parental Consent."
- Age 16-17: MUST adhere to the U.S. Department of State's Applicants Age 16 and 17, opens a new window requirements, including "Show Parental Awareness."
Passport Service Hours
|Tues & Wed||1pm–8pm (Closed: 4pm–5pm)||Information & Map|
|Thurs, Fri, & Sat||10am–5pm (Closed: 1pm–2pm)|
Los Altos Library
|Sun, Mon, & Tues||10am–5pm (Closed: 1pm–2pm)||Information & Map|
|Wed & Thurs||1pm–8pm (Closed: 4pm–5pm)|
|Sun, Wed, & Thurs||10am–5pm (Closed: 1pm–2pm)||Information & Map|
|Mon & Tues||1pm–8pm (Closed: 4pm–5pm)|