The Library offers a vast array of resources and services online for all ages. Whether you’re a longtime library user, or signing up for your very first library card, here are some great ways you can utilize the library from anywhere with internet access.
- Join the Library with an instant free eCard: For anyone who lives in Santa Clara County that doesn’t have a library card, the instant free eCard is for you. An eCard gives you full access to the Library’s Online Library services, including eBooks, streaming movies, and more. If you already have a library card, your existing library account will provide you with Online Library access.
- Download eBooks: Thanks to OverDrive and RBdigital, you can use your library card to checkout eBooks, audiobooks, and more! We also offer Chinese eBooks through HyRead and Spanish eBooks through Odilo. Not sure how to download an eBook? To get started, check out our Online Library Help page, which includes our Get Started & How-To Guides, as well as, our Video Tutorials.
- Stream movies and music: Watch movies and music at home… or anywhere you have internet access! Choose from documentaries, classic and indie films available online through our streaming service, Kanopy. For kids, we offer movies and TV shows as well as animated storybooks and classic fairy tales through Kanopy Kids. For those who enjoy watching The Great Courses, Kanopy provides unlimited access. For music lovers, we offer Freegal Music where you can stream 13 million songs from around the world. If you’re a lover of classical music performances, check out Medici.TV. You can watch live and on-demand concerts, operas, ballets, and more.
- Read magazines and newspapers online: Browse current and past newspapers, including the New York Times, Wall Street Journal, and Mercury News. We also offer international newspapers and magazines from around the world in 60 different languages through PressReader. Check out the latest issues of popular magazines such as Rolling Stone, Vogue, US Weekly, The Economist, People, Sports Illustrated, TIME and Consumer Reports through our Flipster and RBdigital Magazine services. And dive deep into our digital magazine archives for National Geographic, Science, TIME, Life, The Atlantic, and more.
- Update your tech, business, and creative skills: Want to learn how to code? Want to become an expert in Photoshop? Check out our online classes and tutorials offerings via LinkedIn Learning, Treehouse, and Universal Class.
- Receive free assistance for job seekers: Job search, resume writing, interview tips and live tutoring and skill building are available through the Brainfuse Adult Learning Center, JobNow. For veterans that are either entering or re-entering the workforce, VetNow, provides live assistance, resources and more for veterans and their families. If you need to prepare for an occupational practice test, check out the Career Preparation Center by LearningExpress. It offers occupational practice test on a variety of topics.
- Get help with your homework: Brainfuse offers students in grades K-College live online homework help and tutoring. The service is available Monday through Sunday from 1-10pm PST. You can also get help with SAT/ACT preparation.
- Learn a new language: Want to become fluent in a second or third language? The library offers the language-learning software Rosetta Stone, which offers immersion language learning for 30 languages including ESL! Brush up on your reading, writing, speaking, and listening skills in another language. Use the built-in interactive voice comparison tool, take quizzes, and other fun challenges as part of advancing within the lesson plans.
- Get creative and learn to meditate: Nurture your creative side with 1000+ video classes in painting, knitting, crafting, sewing and more through Creativebug. Focus on your personal wellness, unwind, and reduce your stress levels by taking a guided meditation lesson via our Headspace app.
- Receive research help online: If you need help choosing your next book or finding some information, consider connecting with a librarian virtually. You can send us your reference questions via text, chat, or email. For your next research project, try using Yewno*—a research tool that utilizes AI technology to find different intersections between multiple research topics. We also have a wide variety of research databases and articles on just about any topic of interest.
*Updated 12-2022: Yewno is no longer available.