Experts tell us that children need to hear a thousand stories read aloud before they begin to learn to read for themselves.
~ Mem Fox, Reading Magic
Read a thousand books to earn badges and prizes!
In the 1000 Books Before 6 program, help your child develop essential early literacy skills. Children learn and grow by listening and following along as we read with them, and are motivated to start reading by watching their progress in the reading log and earning rewards for meeting goals.
How the program works:
- Register online to access the reading log.*
- Log a title for each book read.
- Earn a badge for every 50 books read and logged.
- Earn a prize for reading 100 books!
- Keep reading.
- Earn a prize for reading 500 books!
- Just keep reading, just keep reading.
- Earn a prize and a certificate of completion for reading 1,000 books!
Prizes can be picked up at the Children's Reference Desk in any Santa Clara County Library District location while supplies last.
*Visit the children’s reference desk at any Santa Clara County Library District location for a paper reading log. Kids can log books themselves by coloring in a circle for each book read, and collect a sticker from the librarian for every 50 books!
FAQs for Parents:
Gosh, this is a lot of books!
- If you read three books a day to your child, in just one year you’ll have read 1,095 books! And you have several years to complete the program.
Help! I don’t know which books to read!
- Everything counts! The children’s librarians will gladly help you pick some books. Beanstack also offers reading recommendations based on the titles you have logged. And SCCLD librarians have put together plenty of booklists for kids!
What if my child wants to read the same book over and over?
- Repetition is key to learning! Each time you read a book, it counts. If you read the same book 5 times, log the title 5 times. Your child can color 5 circles in their booklet.
Do I have to read books from the library?
- You can read books from anywhere, in any language. eBooks count too!
Can I log the books my child hears in storytime?
- Yes! Any and every book your child hears counts for this program.
Can I log books online and use a paper reading log?
- Yes! Your child can earn badges online and collect stickers on paper at the same time. Encourage your child to participate! When they see their progress and earn rewards themselves, they will find even more excitement in reading!
Thank you to our partner