Get Ready for Kindergarten: Early Literacy
Early literacy is everything a child knows about reading and writing before they can read or write. One of the core skills that comprises early literacy is letter knowledge – knowing that letters are different from each other, knowing letter names and sounds, and recognizing letters everywhere. One easy way to strengthen letter knowledge is by having a child practice writing their name. Use our checklist, programs, booklist, eResources, and websites to help prepare your child with the basic skills and concept standards they need to succeed in Kindergarten.
- I enjoy books and stories.
- I can use crayons and pencils.
- I know how to use a book: where to start, how to turn pages, and that the words and pictures tell a story.
- I know some of the letters of the alphabet.
- I can write some of the letters in my first name.
- I know some rhyming words (like pat, hat, cat, and bat).
Jun 2nd | 6:00pm - 7:30pm
Jun 7th | 6:00pm - 7:30pm
Jun 9th | 6:00pm - 7:30pm
Jun 14th | 6:00pm - 7:30pm