Library History

Timeline

1912

July: Morgan Hill established as a branch of the Santa Clara County Library.

1914

Morgan Hill Library opens in Goold's Department Store. A few shelves of books behind a curtain are open from 2 p.m. -- 5 p.m.

1930

The library moves to the rear of the Miller building with 2,000 volumes.

1940's

The library moves again to the backyard of Edith Reed, the library at the time, on 6th Street.

1948

Morgan Hill Library operates from the annex of the Friendly Inn with Mrs. Walter Graeb as librarian.

1960

Nob Hill Shopping Center is built with Morgan Hill Library as the original occupant.

1973

With bonds passed by voters, the Civic Center becomes the home of a new library housing over 48,000 volumes.

2007

July: The current Morgan Hill Library opens with over 160,000 volumes and works of art inside and outside the library.