Milpitas Library has a Community Room, called the Auditorium, which is available for use by public groups.
Community groups are permitted and encouraged to use the Auditorium for cultural, educational, and recreational programs when such use does not conflict with programs sponsored by the Library. There are certain meetings that are not open to the public, such as Library and City Staff meetings, interviews, training sessions, and the like. All other programs must be free and open to the public.
Groups must read and adhere to this Usage Policy and the Santa Clara County Library District's Community Room Policy. Permission to use the Auditorium is granted on the condition that all rules are followed. Permission may be revoked for failure to do so, in which case the organization responsible will be assessed for any damages.
- There is a non-refundable fee per booking: $25 for four (4) or fewer hours, or $50 for more than four (4) hours, up to a maximum of eight (8) hours in a single booking.
- Checks should be made payable to the Milpitas Public Library, or to Santa Clara County Library District.
- Payment must be made in-person; the amount due cannot be mailed in.
- Failure to comply may result in cancellation of the reservation.
The Auditorium can accommodate 10 to 120 people. Groups larger than this are encouraged to use other facilities.
The equipment available for use are:
- 35 tables
- 150 stacking chairs
- Electrical and data outlets
- Cables for laptop connection
Note: Staff may or may not be available to assist with Library equipment.
- A group may use the Auditorium no more than one day per month.
- A representative of the group must read this Usage Policy and the Community Room Policy and pay the fee. Since the representative commits the organization or group to following this policy and assumes responsibility for any damages to the Library, he/she should be someone whose standing in the organization carries this authority.
- The reservation time should include set-up and cleanup time.
- At the time of the reservation, the group should inform staff what equipment is needed.
- A completed application and payment of the fee confirms the reservation.
- If a group must cancel, the Library needs at least two days' notice or future use may be prohibited.
- The Library reserves the right to cancel a reservation with reasonable notice.
- All publicity for programs must include a contact phone number other than that of the Milpitas Library and must not imply that the Library is sponsoring the program.
- Notify staff at the Accounts Desk that your group has arrived.
- Only the individual whose name was used during the time of the reservation will be able to access the Auditorium.
- Groups will not be allowed into the Auditorium before their scheduled time.
- Access to staff areas, including the kitchen and loading dock entrances, is not permitted under any circumstances.
- The individual in charge of the group must read and fill out the check-in agreement.
- The group is responsible for arranging the chairs and tables before the meeting. The room must be arranged so that there is ample access to exits.
- Placing nails, screws, thumbtacks, staples, tape, adhesives, or signs on the walls, doors, or stage is not permitted.
During the Program:
- No food is allowed in the room. Bottled water is acceptable.
- Open flames of any kind are not permitted.
- Noise level must be appropriate for a Library.
- High voltage equipment is not allowed.
- Groups must leave the Auditorium at the scheduled time.
- The room must be left clean and in the same or better condition in which it was found.