Library History

Timeline

1914

Los Altos land agent C.E. Minor opens a library in his land office at First and Main Streets with 50 books and $5 per month from the County.

1921

After having several homes, including the Copeland Building, Shoup Building, and the Scout Hall, Jessie Landels (later her husband, Reverend Thomas) is appointed Los Altos Librarian with 500 books and $10 per month.

1934

Paul and Guy Shoup rally Los Altans to provide materials to transform the Southern Pacific Power House into a new library.

1956

At the request of local Girl Scouts, the mayor studies the library's needs. Friends of the Los Altos Library formed and voters pass the first of four successful library measures.

1964

Los Altos Library is built on the current site in the Civic Center.

1975

Voters pass bonds to expand the Main Library and construct Woodland Library.

1985

Voters pass a 5-year tax to restore library services after previous reductions.

1990

Voters renew the 1985 tax and vote to expand the Main Library.