Library History

Timeline

1912 

The first Cupertino Library opens in the Cupertino Store. Miss Fanny Jollyman attends to a collection of 50-75 books on 4 shelves in the store.

1945 

Miss Fanny Jollyman retires after more than 30 years of service to the Cupertino Library and the Santa Clara County Free Library.

1945-1951 

Cupertino loses its branch library after the Cupertino Store is remodeled.

1951 

Library service resumes in Cupertino thanks to regular visits by the County Library's Bookmobile.

1960 

The new 2500-square-foot Cupertino Library opens in the Allario Shopping Center. More than 300 library cards are issued on opening day.

1962-1965 

Cupertino outgrows its physical space with a collection of 50,000 volumes and annual circulation of over 300,000 items.

1967 

Voters approve a library bond for the construction of a new facility in Cupertino.

1971 

April 10th: The new 24,000-square-foot Cupertino Library opens at 10400 Torre Avenue.

1988 

Due to growing demand, the library is renovated and expanded to 37,000 square feet.

1992 

Cupertino Library has more than 200,000 volumes in its collection and more than 1 million items are circulated.

2004 

The completely redesigned and rebuilt, 54,000-square-foot library facility opens in Cupertino.

A defining feature of the new facility is a sixteen-foot-high 3,240-gallon saltwater aquarium, donated by Fred and Annie Chan in memory of Fred's father, Mr. Pak Chung Chan.

2010 

With the assistance of the Cupertino Library Foundation, the Friends of the Cupertino Library, the City of Cupertino, and the Cupertino Rotary, the library opens a new Teen Room on the second floor.

Today 

Cupertino Library has more than 330,000 volumes in its collection, circulates more than 2.5 million items annually, and receives 850,000 visitors each year.