The 2023 Tax Season has begun! Here are some other important IRS dates, links, tips, and resources to keep in mind as you file your tax return:
Dates of Note:
- Monday, January 23: The IRS started accepting and processing individual 2022 tax returns.
- Friday, January 27: Earned Income Tax Credit Awareness Day to raise awareness of valuable tax credits available to many people – including the option to use prior-year income to qualify.
- Tuesday, April 18: National due date to file a 2022 tax return or request an extension
- Monday, October 16: Due date to file for those requesting an extension on their 2022 tax returns.
Websites of Note:
- IRS Forms: Find forms, instructions, and publications
- IRS Homepage: Get the latest tax information, make payments, check the status of your refund, and more
- State of California Forms: Find forms, instructions and publications
- State of California Franchise Tax Board Homepage: Make payments, check the status of your refund, and more
Free Tax Preparation and Filing Assistance:
- VITA (Volunteer Income Tax Assistance): A free virtual service supported by the IRS, U.S. Department of Treasury, and the White House that helps low-income households across America receive high quality tax services. Also available in Spanish.
- IRS VITA Locator Tool: The IRS Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) and the Tax Counseling for the Elderly (TCE) programs offer free tax help for taxpayers who qualify. You can also call at 800-906-9887.
- IRS Free File: Do Your Taxes for Free: IRS Free File lets you prepare and file your federal income tax online using guided tax preparation, at an IRS partner site, or Free File Fillable Forms.
Additional Tax Tips:
- Hard Copy Tax Forms: Common tax forms, such as the 1040, 1040-SR, and CA 540 are available at Santa Clara County Library District libraries.
- Avoid processing delays and speed refunds by setting up an account and log in securely at gov/account to access personal tax account information including balance, payments, and tax records including adjusted gross income.
- File a complete and accurate return electronically and choose direct deposit for the quickest refund.
- Tax Resource Books at the Library: