Library History

Timeline

1958

First county library in Milpitas (other than the bookmobile) established in one classroom of the historic grammar school at 160 N. Main Street and becomes known as Community Center.

1962

Calaveras Branch opens in the Fiesta Shopping Center on Dempsey Road.

1966

Sunnyhills Branch opens on Dixon Landing Road.

1981

January: Two branches (Calaveras and Community Center) are consolidated and moved into the library of the closed Ayer High School campus.

1983

March: The new 19,500 square foot Milpitas Community Library opens at 40 N. Milpitas Blvd. Cost: $2,000,000. All three of the small branches are now under one roof.

2009

With redevelopment funds of $39,000,000, a new 60,000 square foot library is built at 160 N. Main Street. Opening in January, it becomes known as the Milpitas Public Library.